- The file extension of a document created and saved using Microsoft Word.
- The file extension ‘.gif’ indicates that an image has been saved in the graphics interchange format.This is a bit-mapped graphics file format used extensively on the web that supports 256 colour and various resolutions.The gif format, with its limited range of colours, is more effective for line drawings or illustrations rather than colour photos.
- The file extension ‘.jpeg’ is short for joint photographic experts group. JPEG is a data compression technique for colour images that attempts to eliminate redundant information. Although it can reduce files sizes to about five percent of their normal size, some detail is lost in the compression.
Definition from http://www.pcwebopedia.com
- The file extension ".pdf" indicates files saved in 'portable document format'. These files enable document authors to produce electronic versions of formatted documents so that they appear on the recipient's monitor or printer as they were intended. To view a file in PDF format, Adobe Reader a free application distributed by Adobe, is required
- The file extension '.ppt' or 'pptx' indicates a file created in PowerPoint